Monday 4 July 2011

So, the three week marathon begins......

Finally, it's here.........Le Tour has finally kicked off for another year, the 98th edition of this famous race.  It was with anticipation that I sat up and waited for the coverage to start.  I had already read through Ride Magazine's Tour guide, and more succinctly, Trev's Trannie's thread (excellent work Trev - the bar has been lifted once more!), and was looking forward to seeing who (if anyone) was going to be the movers on Day 1.

We weren't to be disappointed with crashes aplenty, and more importantly The Filthy Drug Cheat (TFDC) Contador losing time after getting caught up in a crash with 9km to go.  My boy Cadel was able to position himself strongly at the front and when the pace wound up, was able to launch off the front and attempt to chase down Gilbert.  Unfortunately, he was not able to get him but only finished 3 seconds down on GC.

Sunday night saw the TTT being run, a 23km explosion over a reasonably flat course.  We expected to see some very fast times and we weren't disappointed.  The TTT is one of my favourite stages of the Tour, so it was great to see it included.  Even better was to see Team BMC and Cadel do exceptionally well, finishing the stage in second place, with Cadel now sitting just 1 second behind Thor.  Cadel looks comfortable so far and more importantly, he looks like he is having fun!

My week started off a little slow with a sleep in after a solid Sunday of a 91km bike and a 2km swim.  I was tired, so it was a bit of pillow time.  Once up and going it was a very busy day and, unfortunately, I still felt tired all day, so it was off to bed reasonably early (for me anyway).

Up early Tuesday at 5.15 and stuck my nose out the door before getting dressed for my run.  After seeing the frost on the ground and having a little shiver, it was decided that running in the PM was a much better scenario so headed off to work early, so I could knock off early.  Murphy's law meant that I didn't get away from work early at all, so my run session was missed.  Oooops, sorry Ruley.

It was time to get the week back on track on Wednesday, so I dragged the bike out for the P&W loop. It was pleasantly mild 4 degrees, however that didn't me from bitching and moaning the whole way round about my frozen fingers!!  I was on the TT machine again after my long ride on it on Sunday.  I realised how much I had missed it and was enjoying riding it again.

We started with 9, however at about the 15km mark a couple of the boys decided to go up the road and left the bunch with 6 to work their way home.  As we wound it up for the run into the end of the loop, I stupidly jumped a bit early with probably 2km to go.  I managed to hold them off for a while, however with about 500m to go I had the crew come around, so it was no chocolates for me.......

Wednesday night was a swim session of 3000m, consisting of the 10 x 200's again.  Last time I had done this session, my intervals were between 3.50 & 4.04, with the time slowly sliding backwards.  This time, the times were much more consistent ranging from 3.45 to 3.54, with 7 of the intervals coming in at 3.53!!!

After getting home and eating everything in sight (Swimming makes me sooooo hungry!), it was off to bed as the Thursday morning run session was another negative split tempo run.  Last week was a successful session with the out loop averaging 5.25 pace, and the in loop averaging 4.50's.  I was hoping to improve on this slightly and I was confident of doing so.

Unfortunately, whenever confidence is at it's peak there is always something to come back and bite you on the arse.  Within minutes of starting the run, the dreaded leg pain that has been plaguing me for the last few years was back, and it was back with a vengeance.  I managed to make it to the 3km mark (avg 5.15) before the leg pain got to the point where I had to stop and turn for home.  It was the first time the leg has been so bad that it has caused me to break down.  I was able to walk/jog back home, having to stop to a walk every time the pain built up again.

I was so disappointed, as everything had been going so well.  Fortuitously, I actually had my next appointment booked at Olympic Park Sports Medical Centre on Thursday.  Last time I had been down there we couldn't actually bring any pain on for the Doc to have a look at, despite doing calf raises and hopping up and down on one foot for what felt like an eternity.  This visit was to see the podiatrist and to be fitted with orthodics.  The examination for this involved being perused whilst walking, jogging and running......all good except that I had broken down just a few hours earlier.  Anyway, managed to get through it and I was soon the owner of both orthodics and a new pair of shoes to go along with them.

Given I'd had the day off on Thursday to go to Melbourne, Friday was a catch up day so an early start.  I was looking forward to Friday night as we had plans for a few drinks to see off Matty and Soph who are heading OS for some 7 months, basing themselves in the North of India.  Truly and adventure of a lifetime and I wish them both all the best during their trip.

I faced Saturday a little apprehensively as I had scheduled an 18km run.  Normally this wouldn't worry me but after Thursday's Run Fail, I was worried that the leg was going to continue to be a problem.  Rocking up to the start with the Hardman, it was time to find out.  The first 3 kilometres (as directed by Ruley) were taken fairly conservatively at around 5.50 pace and then it was into the 14km at race pace of 5.25's. Times were a little up and down even thought constantly monitored via Hardman's 310XT (I've gotta get me one of those!) ranging from 5.36 down to 5.08, but overall i was averaging my goal race pace.  Turning for home with 3km to go, Hardman lifted the tempo a little and I was left hanging on to heels, blowing like a cheap hooker, and cursing him the whole way.  Our last 3k's were done at 5.04, 5.03 and 5.00, so it was good to finish strongly.

It was even better to just finish, under goal time and with no leg pain given the issues of just 48 hours earlier.  As instructed by the Podiatrist, whilst I was still in my old runners, I did have the heel lifts in them and I hadn't really noticed them at all.  later in the day the calves and achilles were a little sore, but no more than after any long run.  Was great to get the long run done, hitting goal pace as it has reinvigorated the confidence with only 2 weeks to go to Run Melbourne.

After breakfast and a shower it was around to pick the kids up as we had planned to head out and watch Cars 2.  Regan was beside himself with excitement and couldn't wait to get there.  Both kids loved it (and so did Dad, just quietly!).  After dropping them home again, it was into the bike gear as I had arranged to meet Hardman again at 3pm for a nice gentle tap around for an hour to flush the legs out.

I had also text Jimmy to let him know we were heading out and I was pleased to see him there waiting at Hardman's place.  Jimmy is on a long road to recovery after a heart episode a bit over 12 months ago.  I'm buggered if I can remember the official name of the problem, but it was effectively an inflammation of the lining of the heart.  Nasty stuff.  Fortunately, he was diagnosed in time, treated, and is now working his way back.  One of the requirements is to ensure that the heart rate doesn't get too high and he has a target of sub 130.

Given there was a bit of wind around on Saturday, it didn't take long to start to creep up, so we had to back off to keep it under control.  Was perfect for me, as after the run that morning, the gentle average of 24.0k/hr was just perfect to flush the legs.  31km in 1.17 and it was home for a snooze for a few hours in readiness for the start of Le Tour.  Ruley came round with pizza to celebrate the start of the race so it was a great way to finish a Saturday.

Sunday was up again early (after the late night watching Gilbert win the first stage) and furious checking of the radar as rain was predicted for the Sunday.  We had organised a short, sharp 2.5km uphill time trial up Mount Major so we were hoping the rain would stay away log enough to get that done and dusted.

Rocking up to the base of the hill it was reasonably mild due to plenty of cloud cover, however there was plenty of wind about and that was going to make a few sections up the hill very, very tough.  Only 5 hard nuts in total turned up for the test.  Besides myself, there was Ruley, Dan, Darren & Goose.  I was selected to go off first and with much trepidation I toed the line.  I am not built for going uphill and I fully expected all 4 riders behind to come blasting past me.

Taking off, I was in the big ring and around the corner I glanced down  at the speedo and saw that I was sitting on 19k/hr.  Hitting a slightly steeper section this speed soon washed off and it was up and down out of the saddle to try and keep the cadence up.  A false flat saw the speed creep up slightly again, however turning to the north was fully into the wind, paired with a steeper section, saw me grabbing for the granny gear and huffing and puffing like the Big Bad Wolf.

At this time was when I heard a bike coming from behind quickly, and in a flash Ruley had passed me and disappeared up around the corner - he had started 2 full minutes behind me and got me with approx 800m to go!!!  Up around the corner and I could see the finish line and tucked the head down and gritted the teeth to finish in 10.13.  Fortunately, no other bike got passed me, but on handicap it was discovered that Dan had gotten me by about 45 seconds.  Damn.......lol.  Ruley has smashed it up there in sub 7 minutes!!

All smiles back down the bottom of the hill and breathing again
L-R  Ruley, Goose, Ayto, Dan & Darren.
Sunday afternoon was off to the pool for a short, sharp session followed by some recovery time in the spas.  1500m completed in 3 x 500m in 9.44, 9.25 & 9.30.  The quickest times I had completed 500's in since I have started training again.  I don't necessarily think it is because of any miraculous technique improvements.  I think it is simply due to time in the water, so there is something to be said for just getting out and practicing......funnily enough, hey?

So training this week was:

Monday                    Rest day
Tuesday                    Work commitments
Wednesday               Bike 44km, 1.26, 30.4k avg
                                 Swim 3000m, Total swim time 1.04
Thursday                   Run / walk, approx 8km, 56mins (after breaking down)
Friday                       Work commitments
Saturday                   Run 18km, 1.37.40, 5.24k avg
                                Bike 31km, 1.17, 24.0k avg
Sunday                     Bike, Uphill TT 2.5km, 10.13
                                Swim 1500m, (3 x 500), Total swim time 28.39

Diet has been ok-ish for the week.  No real junk, but I have eaten out a few times for both lunch and dinner and you just never know what rubbish is going into it.  Oh, and you can't go to the movies without popcorn (for the kids, of course) but I may have helped out just a bit........

Monday morning's weigh in of 102.8kg, representing a loss of only 0.4kg for the week.  There seems to be a common theme of 1 week of decent loss (circa 1.5kg) followed by a week of nominal loss (circa 0.4kg).  This is still a total loss of 17.2kg in 16 weeks so all going well I guess.  More importantly, times across all 3 disciplines are improving and recovery is getting easier and easier.  Hopefully this week sees the cyle continue and we see a bigger loss and nudging towards double digits.........instead of triple.

So time to go.  Need to set the alarm and have a quick snooze before sitting up for Stage 3.  Can't wait.

Train Safe,
Ayto

No comments:

Post a Comment