Wednesday 20 July 2011

So, the first true test is upon us.

This week was due to be a big one.  You see, it was to be the culmination of 6 weeks of work, as set by Ruley, and as done by me, with the (hopeful) completion of the Run Melbourne Half Marathon.

The week started well, as always, as it was again my rest day.  This was important given we were now midway through the 2011 edition of the Tour De France, and fatigue levels are running high.  In all seriousness though, despite the Tour induced lack of sleep, I was still feeling flat and fatigued, which I had previously mentioned when I failed to finish my run on Saturday, having pulled the pin at the 5km mark of the scheduled 10k run.

I wasn't going to mess around with it, so I managed to get a Doctors appointment for Wednesday morning.  In the meantime, Tuesday afternoon was a quick track session of 8km, made up of 20 x 30sec on, 30 sec off intervals.  this was followed by a short sharp 1000m swim, and some recovery time in alternating between the hot and cold spas.

Wednesday morning was another sleep in (damn you TDF), and off to the Doctors for my visit.  After a lengthy consultation and check over, it was off next door to pathology to give blood.  Doc want to check some stuff out and this is the starting point.  He also requested an ECG be done, as I have a diagnosed arrhythmia which is "normal" for me at least, but just a double check to make sure.  Another appointment made for next Wednesday to check results.  In the meantime, I was given the ok to race Run Melbourne on the upcoming Sunday.

Wednesday arvo was a sharp 60min Wind Trainer session to fire the legs up, then off to the pool for a 1500m swim.  Again, into the spas for some recovery time.  I have found that this recovery time is well worth while and helps heaps.

Thursday was to be a taper run, with 5km to be completed at no quicker than race pace.  I was interested to see if this was doable given my last run fail on the treadmill (on Saturday).  Fortunately, I got on and was able to complete exactly as required covering the 5km in 26.48.

Again, due to the TDF and the fact that I am soft, I had a sleep in on Friday morning, which meant that my bike session was to be completed in the evening, so this was again done on the Wind Trainer, getting 1.20 done before heading out for dinner.  Team P&W were meeting for our annual Mid Year dinner, so I was able to celebrate my session with a chicken Par and some quality trash talking with the crew.

Saturday morning was a reasonably early start as the plan was to take advantage of the trip to Melbourne for the run, to go to the footy with Hardman & Hymie.  Was going to be a blockbuster with the Blues and the Pies meeting for a huge clash.  The MCG was sold out and we were amongst the other 89,000+ footy fans.  Getting to our seats we realised just how good they were - on the fence and only about 10 metres to the right of the Collingwood bench.  Awesome.

Plonked directly in front of us was a camera crew whose job it was (amongst other things) was to get reactions from the crowd at various points.  Having seen this, we decided amongst ourselves that we would do our best to get our mugs on TV.  Mission accomplished!!!  As the final siren blew and the filthy 'Pies players and supporters (including Hardman & Hymie) started to celebrate, Hardman lent over to offer a consoling hug, which earned him a bit of a don't argue and a "Fark off"..........all caught on camera!  Wallsy thought it was pretty funny and commented on our "rivalry".

After checking into the hotel we then headed back into town to Carb up with the rest of the crew at La Camera on Southbank, our regular spot when we head to Melbourne.  We had a total of 16 running on Sunday, and 11 of us had met up for dinner.  Back to the hotel to get our gear ready for the morning, a spot of tour watching and then lights out for the early start.


I hope that number doesn't refer to my finishing position!!!

Up early on race day (5.30) for a spot of breakfast and getting ready, then out of the room for the warm up jog of about 3.5km to the start line.  I had a light jumper on but didn't really need it.  It was just about a perfect day for running.  Got to the starting area at about 6.30, and then into the line up for the port a loo's (this part of racing will never change lol). We had arranged to meet the other guys but with so many people around it was just too hard to find them.  Before we knew it we were getting counted down to the start and the first group was off.  We were starting with the 1.55 group and were starting approximately 8 mins after the first wave.

Eventually it was our turn, and we crossed the start line and I hit the button on the Garmin 310XT that Guysy had lent me for the race.  I am planning on getting on of these, but Guysy had offered to let me use his to try it out.  Thanks heaps mate - they are an amazing piece of kit and I have now ordered mine!

The start of the race was pretty slow, simply given the number of people around with heaps of side stepping to get around people.  It felt slow, but I was surprised to see 5.35 for the first kilometre.  After that it was into a bit of a rhythm and the crowd started to thin out a little which made it a little easier.  Following Ruley's instructions, I was dosed up on No Doze and was feeling pretty good so far and made it through the 5km mark in 26.09, which was 56 seconds up on goal pace (of 1.54).

I was still running with Hardman at this stage, albeit he was about 20m in front of me.  I knew that his pace was quicker than my goal pace, so it was about here I made a conscious decision to back off a little otherwise it would come back to bite me on the arse later.  The second half of the first lap was pretty uneventful.  I saw a few of the other Shepp guys and gave a yell of encouragement.  Don't think Rocky would have heard me as he was moving too fast on his way to a 1.37.  Not bad for an old bloke!!

Crossed the 10km point in 52.46 and the half way point in 55.37.  This was about a minute and a half up on goal time and I was still feeling good.  As well as having the no doze on board I was consuming gels and still felt strong(ish) lol. The second 5km was done in 26.32

Unfortunately, that wasn't to last long.  Turning back up the slight hill through the gardens, the legs started to feel it.  Not many hills around Shepp!  My splits weren't blowing out but i was working significantly harder to maintain them.  Around the 15km mark I started to feel pretty uncomfortable in the gut as well.  A review with Ruley afterwards identified far too many gels for the race and I wasn't able to digest them.  I love that you learn something with every race that you do.  The third 5km was done in 26.54, crossing the 15km point in 1.19.55 and still 80 seconds in front of goal.

The plan was to go "all out" for the final 6km and see how I go. Sadly, "all out" was a fight for survival and it was a struggle to try and just maintain good quality splits without blowing out too far.  I could see at the 18km turnaround that I was less than a minute in front of Hymie and I knew I had to push hard to try and hold him off.  Pushing as hard as possible, I crossed the 20km mark in 1.47.51 against a target of 1.48.20........it was gonna be close.

Fortunately, the last 1.1km was done just quick enough and I was able to cross the line in 1.53.51, just 9 seconds in front of goal.  Disappointingly, and the finishers photos will confirm, I was caught by Hymie literally within metres of the line............and received the smack on the arse accordingly. Damn!!!!!

Not to worry.  I was still under goal time and this was the first race I have done where I have had a firm plan and was able to stick to it and go under goal.  Awesome. I found the Garmin an awesome piece of kit and I don't reckon I would have been able to get under goal without it.  The instant feedback is just awesome.

With a big group from Shepp, it was great to see everyone come across the line pretty much on or in front of goal times and it was time to pose for the obligatory photos.


Abbey, Jo C, Hayley, Hymie, Jo T, Hardman, Annie, Tim, Lisa, Dave, Rocky, Liz & Ayto

Everyone was pretty pleased with their time, although it must be said not as much as they all were posing with me in my compression socks!  I think that was definitely the highlight of their day.  Back to hotels for showers and then time to meet again for a celebratory lunch and plenty of tall stories.

A review of the Garmin tells me that my quickest 1km split was a 4.47 (downhill at kilometre 5) and my slowest was a 5.40 (uphill at kilometre 19).  Pretty happy overall as my biggest blowout was only 15seconds above goal pace and only 9 kilometres were over goal pace, including the first kilometre due to the crowds all over the place.

Onto recovery now, with compression, recovery spas and myotherapy on the cards.  Overall, and despite the Doctors visit, a pretty good week, with a great finish in Melbourne.  The weeks training (and racing) was:

Monday              Rest day
Tuesday              Run 8km (inc. 20 x 30:30). Total 51.54
                          Swim 1000m, 21.09
Wednesday        Bike (W/T) approx. 30km, 60 mins
                          Swim 1500m (inc 3 x 500), Total 29.52
Thursday            Run 5km, 26.58
Friday                Bike (W/T) Approx 40km, 1.20
Saturday            Footy
Sunday              Run Melbourne 21.1km, 1.53.51

After the slight weight gain last week it was time to pull the head in a bit and, despite a few meals eaten out over the week, Monday's weigh in saw the scales spitting back 101.9kg, representing a loss of 1.9kg for the week.  This is a loss of 18.1kg over 18 weeks.

This weigh in was despite getting home Sunday night and deciding that a celebratory pizza for dinner.........a whole large pizza...........there was none left.

Nor did the Magnum ice cream survive the evening...........

Apparently there is no time to rest on ones laurels though.  A sit down with Ruley and review of the race and he has now scheduled the next 6 week plan to deliver me to the Shepparton Half marathon, with the goal of sub 1.50 on 28 August.  Will be interesting to see how the next build phase goes.  Looking forward to it.

In the short term, I need to get the legs working again so I can get started on this plan!

Train safe
Ayto

No comments:

Post a Comment