Monday 16 May 2011

So, a metre matters right?

Here I am 2 months or so into this little adventure, and despite my flippant musings in this blog, I am trying to take the whole thing seriously.  I know what has to happen between now and next March.  I know all about the amount of work involved, the sacrifices, the lack of sleep and the taper tantrums.  But sometimes things happen that just put things into perspective and make you realise that Ironman, whilst an important and fulfilling part of your life, is really, well, not that important at all.
Indulge me for a moment whilst I tell a story.
Jodie Ridges was a wife to Scott and a Mum to four beautiful children.  She was a daughter, a sister, and a friend to many.  Yet, sadly, Jodie was taken far too early due to an accident when she was knocked from her bike and seriously injured.  Jodie had spent the last 15 months in Melbourne in a coma.
Jodie was faithfully tended by Scott and the rest of the family; however this was extremely difficult due to the distance between here and Melbourne and the need to try and keep the routine as normal as possible for the kids.  After a series of setbacks with Jodie’s health, Scott made the heart wrenching decision to turn off Jodie’s life support several weeks ago, and she passed away last Friday.
Her funeral was today.
I am not trying to lay blame here.  The driver of the vehicle was charged and the case has gone through the relevant process with the punishment handed out.  However, one needs to stop and think her for a moment.  This accident has not just taken one life.  It has significantly impacted on at least 5 others and has had some kind of impact on many, many others as well.
And why?  Well, simply because someone was a little bit blasé………wasn’t paying quite enough attention.  What a price to pay.
For the record, I had never met Jodie however my thoughts are with her family at this time.
Sadly, this happens far too often.  Tragedy again struck in Shepparton on Saturday when another local cyclist was struck and killed by a vehicle.  This time, Peggy Allan and 3 friends were out riding at approximately 11am and had stopped on the side of the road to repair a puncture.  (Allegedly) a vehicle has come around the bend and has struck Peggy.
Again, my thoughts are with Peggy’s family and friends, particularly the 3 who were with Peggy at the time and will need to live with that experience for the rest of their lives.
Please, I urge ALL road users to be vigilant and have a little care for all other road users.  A metre really DOES matter.
As for my week, well it really does pale into insignificance in comparison to the families of Jodie and Peggy.
Due to a combination of commitments with work and with the kids, during the week I wasn’t able to get out Monday, Wednesday or Friday, which all happen to be my normal bike days.  I did, however, manage to get out for my scheduled Tuesday & Thursday runs, as well as fit in swims on Tuesday & Thursday evenings.
The weekend was going to be a fluid one as I was heading up to my Mum’s place in Wagga, but I packed all the gear just in case.  Unfortunately, training wise Saturday was a write off with heaps of family wanting to catch up and the bike was left neglected.  The plan was then to get up early and get 50 or 60km done before heading out with the family for breakfast.
So, getting up at 6am I stuck my head out the door and with visibility down to less than a metre due to the fog, and on the back of the news about the accident at home in Shepp, I have got to admit heading out in that type of weather held absolutely no attraction for me at all – particularly on unfamiliar roads.  After a great brekkie, I did pull my head in though and pulled the gear on for a run and ended up doing 14.5km.  Felt good too.
So for the record the weeks training was:
Monday                               N/A
Tuesday                               Run 6km (inc. 8 x 1min intervals), approx. 40mins
                                                Swim 1750m, approx. 40mins
Wednesday                        N/A
Thursday                             Run 10km, 54.15mins
                                                Swim 2000m, 44.20mins
Friday                                    N/A
Saturday                              N/A
Sunday                                 Run 14.5km, 1hr 23mins

I have pulled my head in from the previous week’s blowout and made sure that I have kept a close eye on the diet, and despite the lighter training week, have still managed to drop 1.9kg for the week, with an official weigh in of 109.6kg.  A total loss of 10.4kgs in 8 weeks.  It’s amazing what can happen when you pull your head in!!
Just a matter now of putting consistent weeks together, both training and diet.  Having said that……….it’s only Ironman and it's really not that important in the scheme of things.
I’ll also be making sure that I’ll be kissing the kids goodnight and telling them I love them as often as possible, every night I see them.
Take it seriously………….but keep it in perspective as well.
Stay safe everyone
Ayto

No comments:

Post a Comment