Tuesday 26 April 2011

So, the Easter Bunny is coming..........

And this is why I knew it was important to be disciplined this week, with both training and what went in the gob.  Sadly……..both fell of the rails slightly.
Not my fault really, but it appears the 16km run last Saturday had scarred me, or perhaps that was scared……..nope, most likely both.  And I blame Fee!!
So, kicking off the week on Monday after getting the bike and all the gear ready on Sunday night, I wandered out at 5.30am and stuck my head out the door.  Given it was dark it was decided that bed was a better option.  With a short run and a swim scheduled for Tuesday morning I was a bit doubtful that the pool would be open given we were in Easter week……..so bed was again, a better option.
Wednesday morning was a little better and I did actually get out with the PnW’s much to their chagrin.  I didn’t mean to, but inadvertently put some hurt into the legs of the bunch.  Sorry guys, but sometimes I have to go at my pace and if that strings you all out I apologise whole-heartedly.  I’ll just try to sit on next time!!
Thursday was scheduled to be the normal 10km run with the crew, so up and dressed and about to walk out the door when the text message was received from Fee saying she was a bit crook and was gonna have the morning off.  With absolutely no hesitation, I turned the lights off and climbed into bed, still dressed in my running gear, complete with socks.
It was the socks that caused the most discomfort as I awoke about an hour later with my feet overheating and me a sweaty mess……..probably would have sweated less running!!
So far this week the diet had been pretty good, so even though the training was a bit, ahem, light on I was still feeling pretty good and a sneaky check on the scales proved the same.
Thursday night I had Ruley coming around to work through the next few weeks of training and factoring in some time around the kids over Easter and the next few weekends.  So whilst the Tuna Casserole was bubbling away in the oven, we started working through it, including a review of what I had done the last few weeks.  Clearly the week BEFORE this one was a little better!!
Once the program was finalised and the kids were sitting quietly with their desert Ruley has started the rubbish off for the weekend, dragging out the White Chocolate & Raspberry Ice Cream that he had brought around.  It’s Thursday night of Easter Weekend and he is starting this rubbish!!

So much ice cream it's made Ruley's eyes go wonky........or is that normal?


Does he not know that I am only 48 hours away from eating my body weight in chocolate??
Does he not know that I am about to consume enough chocolate to make Willy Wonka cry??
Does he not know I am WEAK??
Damn you Ruley……….
Anyway, the ice cream was magic.  I did however tell him to take the rest of the tub home to remove the temptation, to which he obliged……….and he more than likely polished the rest of it off that night.
So into the weekend properly and I knew that I wouldn’t get much of a chance to do anything as I had the kids from Thursday night to Saturday night.  A couple of solid wind trainer and treadmill sessions, right?
No, sadly not. I did take the kids to the skate park and watched them get around on their scooters for a couple of hours.  They make me tired just watching them doing that stuff so surely that counts as a session?
To this point (excluding Thursday nights Ice cream massacre) the diet had been pretty good AND then, at the respectable time of 8am on Sunday, I was on the bike for a lap of “the loop”.  Unfortunately, only 2 others, Scotty & Meags, turned up so I had nowhere to hide and had to do some work at the front.  A total of 63km at an average of 29.1k.
I was somewhat disappointed after diligently checking Weatherzone before mounting my bike to discover that there was a bit of breeze out there.  What is the go Weatherzone?  You told me “calm” conditions…….what is the go here?  Why would you set an expectation like this only to disappoint?  Damn you to hell!!!
Fortunately, I was able to finish without expiring (although I did whinge a bit) and was quickly revived during a “recovery” session at Friars with Coffee & Raisin Toast.  Another couple of coffee’s and then off home to tidy up a bit before I was to pick the kids up again later in the day for dinner at my house and dare I say……..Easter Eggs.
Once they were here and given it was the kids treat I asked them what they wanted for dinner.  Hot Dogs was the resounding answer, those wonderful mystery bags full of protein and vitamins and heaps of other, ummmm, stuff………all good for you right?
Then it was onto the Chocolate.  The kids were very excited to have both picked something out for me, however it must be said, nowhere near as excited as receiving the treats I had got for them.  Given they were due to head home shortly I told them to knock themselves out and polish off as much as they liked!!!
Once they had gone home, and I was busily tidying up, I thought I heard someone calling me.  Ducking my head out of the kitchen I couldn’t see anyone, but could still hear it…………..”Come to me Ayto”………..”you know you want to”……………do not resist”……………
Damn you Crunchie Bunny – I am ignoring you.
Well, for all of about 5 seconds anyway.  Onto the couch with said bunny and a bowl.  You see, a wise old mate of mine had once said (earlier that day coincidently) that if you break the egg/bunny first then all of the calories fly out of it.  Sounds logical to me.
So, after coming down off my sugar high about 4 hours later I got the gear ready for another bike session first thing the next morning………and when I say first thing, I mean first friggin thing!!  Who schedules a ride for 6am on a public holiday??  Sadists, apparently………or Collingwood supporters.  Apparently they needed to get the ride out of the way early so that they could get ready for the game.  Who friggin’ cares.  The Blues had won on Saturday night so as far as I was concerned the weekend of footy was already over!
Anyway, jumping on the scales prior to the ride for the official Monday morning weigh in showed a figure of 111.9kg.  Amazingly, a loss of 0.6kg for the week given the poor weekend of diet and the ahem, one or two missed training sessions.
Fortunately, upon turning up at the designated meeting spot, we were 6 strong and thought I might be able to hide in the bunch a bit.  Even better, rolling around the golf course loop, we had another 2 join us at about the 10km mark.  8 strong, plenty of room to hide!!
Unfortunately not, with half wheel full wheel Larry there the pace was kept solid and the turns rolled through fairly quickly.  A total of 60km at 31.6k average and again, it was off to the recovery session at Friars for coffee and more Raisin toast.
Then off to the Harrisons for the traditional Anzac day clash between the ‘Pies and the ‘Dons.  I know – “Who Cares” I hear you ask?  Well, not me, but it does amuse me to see these tosser “pies supporters getting so passionate about the game.  Hopefully some of them put some dough on the result and came in winners – perhaps they will book appointments to the dentists now!
So, what was the training for the week?
Monday                          Too Dark
Tuesday                          Pool closed (or so someone told me…….)
Wednesday                    Bike (PnW’s) 43km, 1hr 21m, 32.4k avg
Thursday                        Dressed……then back into bed
Friday                             Good Friday – national day of rest
Saturday                         Ummmm………
Sunday                            Bike 63km, 2hr 9min, 29.1k avg
Monday                          Easter Monday – Bike 60km, 1hr 53min, 31.6k avg

As mentioned above, the official weigh in was 111.9kg, a loss of 0.6kg for the week and total loss of 8.1kg in 6 weeks.  I am the first to admit actually losing weight this week is amazing considering that I have seen more chocolate this weekend than a Swiss Chocolatier (is that a word?).  Seriously, in comparison to me, Willy Wonka is a lightweight.  If he ever wants a new Oompa Loompa I would suggest my C.V stacks up pretty well.
On the serious side for a moment, I have worryingly developed some soreness in my left knee and it was quite noticeable the last 2 days on the bike.  The pain is on the inside of the knee, right at the side.  I have had some pain before towards the bottom of the knee caused by tendonitis, but have not experienced it in this spot before.
I mentioned at the start that the 16km run last Saturday had scarred me………….perhaps more than I knew???
Dickhead!!!  Ruley has been quite vocal about not doing too much too early.   Must try to listen to him – seems he knows what he is talking about lol.
Actually, in hindsight it appears that subconsciously I knew I was carrying an injury which is why I have had the light training week.  Yeah, that’s it………surely!
Anyway, will see what the track session tomorrow morning shows.  Just an easy one with 15 x 30sec intervals and a total of 30mins or so.  Will be interesting to see how it pulls up.
So, better go. Can hear someone calling my name…………..Damn you, Red Tulip Humpty Dumpty with chocolate beanies inside!!!   Damn you to hell!!
Train safe
Ayto

2 comments:

  1. Gold plated prose Ayto! Well done. And well done on the weight loss, that's equal to my bikes' kilos. And it felt like 18kg riding the brisk 4 degree toaster loop yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am indeed a wordsmith Foss!!
    Yes, a touch brisk yesterday around the loop......which is why I spent most of my time out the front bringing the pace up LOL

    ReplyDelete